Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Keep the Prayers Up Please!

As you know, Peyton was able to come home from the hospital on Saturday afternoon.  Since she's been home, she's gotten just a little worse.  Not shockingly worse.  Not enough to go back to the ER...yet.  However, it's enough to raise our concern level for her just a little.

This afternoon, a nurse from the step down unit of the PICU called just to check on Peyton.  I explained to her what our concerns are right now.  She, in turn, contacted the gen peds doctor, who then called me back.  We discussed everything and there is enough concern to warrant bringing her back to the ER.  We agreed that we'd watch her overnight and see how things go, but if there is no improvement, we would bring her to the ER in the morning.  The doctor was going to give the ER a heads up just to say we might wind up back there.

Essentially, Peyton's lungs sound really "wet" still, which is consistent with the pneumonia.  Her last day in the hospital, she was on room air.  We haven't really been able to get her off oxygen at all (even while awake) since we've been home.  Her heart rate was back down into the 120s and low 100s/90s while sleeping - which is much better.  However, this evening, her heart rate is back up into the 130s/140s.  She slept for several hours today as well.

Please continue to pray that she improves significantly overnight so we can avoid another trip to the hospital.

Saturday, February 18, 2012


This is just a really quick update to let you all know that Peyton is home from the hospital.  I can't believe she got home on the 4th day!  Usually it is much longer for something like this.  Considering her status when we arrived at the ER, I have to believe that it is all those prayers going up for her that got her home as quickly as this.

Thank you all so much for your support!

Friday, February 17, 2012

Still In Hospital

Peyton is still in the step down unit of the PICU, although it is because there is no room at the inn, so to speak. They have a request for a regular room in, but no space is available over there. Meantime, they have switched her to the peds team from the PICU team so her doctor is now one who is familiar with her. Her potassium and phosphorus are low so they had to give her some. They will be keeping an eye on that. She is improving overall, so that is good. The doctor this morning commented on just how sick she was when she came in, so we are truly blessed and grateful for the excellent care she has been receiving here. I didn't realize til she was in he ER how sick she was, although she did become much worse between home and hospital. It was not good and I am seeing that more and more with each comment a doctor makes like this. I am so grateful for your prayers. Will keep you updated.

Thursday, February 16, 2012

Trying This Again

Hi there.  I tried to type something last night on my Kindle, but I was having issues.  I tried to save what I had done as a draft, but it published even though it wasn't done and had some nice autocorrect issues.  I had to delete it and wait til I had Ron's laptop here.

So...I am back.

I am updating today to let you know that Peyton was admitted to the hospital yesterday.  On the 14th, she wasn't herself.  Just fussy and tired, but not wanting to sleep.  I couldn't pinpoint what her problem was.  We did attend the Luke 14 Banquet at our church.  You can read about that on my blog here

When we got home, she wound up having a low grade fever and she threw up once.  That night, she was pretty restless.  In the morning she was burning up and threw up some.  Her temp was 103.5  Her heart rate was up around 180. Once we got Moira off to school, Ron and I brought Peyton in to the ER.  She was right out of it by the time we got to the hospital.  Ron dropped me off at the door and went to park.  Peyton totally bypassed triage and was taken back immediately.  Within seconds we had 7 or 8 doctors and nurses in the room with her.  Her coloring was not good.  Her blood pressure was very low.  Her heart rate was very high.  Her fever was high.  

They accessed her port immediately and pushed fluids in with a big syringe rather than just start the IV.  They gave her over 300cc's of fluid that way before starting the IV, hoping it would help to get her blood pressure back up.  Her oxygen was also pretty low.  They had to put her on a mask and give her lots of oxygen.  It was a bit frightening to see how quickly she became so sick.

We waited all day in the ER.  The children's hospital is packed.  We finally got into a room around 4pm or so.  She was brought up to the step down unit of the PICU, which is not a place we've been to before.  More monitoring here.  

So far, we have found out that she has rhinovirus and pneumonia.  Other labs are still pending.  

In addition to this, over the weekend, the balloon in her GJ tube had broken and the tube was in danger of falling right out.  However, her home nurse managed to get it secured really well before that happened.  I hadn't actually set up anything to have the tube replaced prior to heading to the ER, so I made that issue one of secondary concern while we were at the ER.  She had the tube changed out today.

We should be getting transferred to a regular room.  I thought it was going to be today.  I suppose it still could be.  We'll see.

I will keep you updated.