Saturday, April 20, 2013

Hospital Life...Day 26

Today is Day 26.  If you missed yesterday's post, you can read it HERE.

Today has pretty much been a continuation of yesterday in terms of pain management.  The level of Peyton's continuous dose of Morphine has been increased a couple of times.  She has needed frequent "rescue doses" today.  That means that she needed frequent bolus doses for intermittent breakthrough pain.  The pain is still pretty intense when she has the breakthrough pain.

Peyton needed to be weighed today.  Not sure why, but the weights they've been getting are not always consistent despite the bed being zeroed out prior to weighing her.  Today's weight was up from yesterday's.  In the process of zeroing out the bed, Peyton had to be lifted up off the bed and held while the zeroing out process took place.  Just one push of a button and the bed zeros the weight of the bed.  However, the wait seemed to take forever today.  It wound up being three people holding Peyton while this happened.  In the process of lifting and holding her, she screamed so much and was in so much pain that she began breath-holding.  Her face started turning bluish purple and her oxygen saturation dropped into the mid 60% range.  Then she'd scream but she wasn't taking good breaths.  When we finally were able to set her down, it took a while for her to calm down sufficiently to get her color back and her oxygen saturation back up.  It is heartbreaking to see her in that much pain.

We have a new attending for the weekend.  Peyton has seen him perhaps two or three times on previous hospitalizations.  In fact, I want to say the only times we've had him were on days she was being discharged, so we don't have a whole lot of experience with him.  As it turns out, he seems to be yet another wonderful addition to the team.  Ron happened to be here when they rounded today.  He and I were both very impressed with this doctor.  He seemed to us to be both interested and concerned for Peyton, as well as sorry that she is experiencing all these challenges. 

As for Peyton's leg, I honestly think it is now worse.  It may not be as red, but the coloring of the area has changed.  The redness has crept up the top of her leg a little bit.  Her lower leg and foot seem puffy today.  No fevers and her white count wasn't high, but the doctor wanted to discuss things with Infectious Disease to see if we needed to add on another antibiotic.  Right now, it isn't looking like we will.  Ron and I are quite concerned about her leg.  And her pain. 

I just wish I could take her pain on myself so she wouldn't have to be the one suffering.  It is heartbreaking.  Thank you for all your comments, emails, calls, etc.  We truly appreciate your love and concern for Peyton.

No comments:

Post a Comment

We welcome your comments and especially your prayers and support as our family journeys through the ups and downs of life with a special needs and medically fragile child. Thank you for visiting!