Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Hello...It's Been A Long Time!

It has been a while since I posted!!  If you assumed that all was going reasonably well in our world, you'd be right.  Peyton's been holding her own for the past little bit.  Still really junky at times.  Still requiring lots of suction.  Occasionally getting a little sick, but never amounting to much.

Yesterday she had a follow up with the Infectious Disease doctor.  For the past couple weeks, she's had these off again on again low grade fevers...mostly on again for the past 5 days or so.  Her heart rate has been higher than normal as well.  Suction needs have been increasing.  He agreed that something was going on, but was hesitant to start her on anything unless we knew for sure that we had something really going on.  The last thing we want is for her to become immune to antibiotics.  He said that if her temps rose above 100.4 to give him a call.  So far, the highest has been only around 99.6.

What a difference less than a day makes.  Peyton woke up at about 4:30 coughing and gagging and definitely needing suctioned.  She was also throwing up a little.  She continued to cough.  It was like something was stuck but it wasn't coming up.   Poor little girl.  It just wasn't clearing so she continued to cough intermittently.  She finally settled around 5:00 but continued to cough a little here and there.  Then it was back to the throwing up a little again around 7:30 or so.  She felt pretty hot, so when I changed her diaper I checked her temp.  101.3!!  In addition, her oxygen was only at about 93% while ON oxygen.  That has improved a little.  Her heart rate, though, has been ranging between high 150s to low 170s!!  It should be in the very low 100s.  108ish, like.

Just after 8:00, I got on the phone to call the doctor.  He actually answered himself and I spoke directly with him right then!  He is concerned about aspiration pneumonia (or the risk of, at the very least).  He wants to start her back on some antibiotics today.  He said we should see a difference after about 48 hours.  If not, I'm to call back.

So, while we've had a pretty decent run of it, we're putting Peyton back on antibiotics.  We appreciate your prayers that she responds well and we see much improvement in the next 48 hours.

No comments:

Post a Comment

We welcome your comments and especially your prayers and support as our family journeys through the ups and downs of life with a special needs and medically fragile child. Thank you for visiting!