Thursday, February 24, 2011

Another G Tube Clog

Another day, another trip to the ER.

As I mentioned last time, I'm having to get up a couple times during the night to do Peyton's meds.  I hadn't yet gone to sleep when it was time for the four midnight meds.  I got halfway through and the tube clogged....again.  I worked on it with increasing frustration and tears for close to an hour and a half before going to Ron and telling him she needed to go to the ER.  

I wound up leaving home at about 1:50am.  Not much traffic between here and MUSC at that time of day.  Got to the parking garage in record time.  There was no one waiting in the children's ER waiting room.  We were back in a room in no time.  A resident was in to see Peyton right away.  The attending saw we were checked in before we even got back and she thought ahead and ordered the clog zapper stuff from central supply so that it would help reduce our wait time once in the ER.  Before too long, the clog zapper solution was put into her tube.  Unlike last time, the solution didn't go in easily, and it seemed like more wound up on Peyton than in her.  I wasn't sure it was going to work like it did last time.  In fact, after the hour passed (that's how long it has to sit for), the nurse came in to flush the tube.  It didn't flush.  She got a different syringe and tried again.  It didn't flush easily, but eventually the clog just popped out of the tube into her stomach and we were back in business.  We were out of there and on our way home.  

We got home at about 4:30am.  At that point, I'd been up for nearly 24 hours and was incredibly exhausted.  I changed Peyton, gave her her meds that she missed, posted by insight for the daily bible study I'm doing, and then went to bed by 5:00.  Woke up at 5:40 when my alarm went off, got up, showered, and got ready for the day...sort of.  I did what I needed to to help get Moira fed and ready for school.  The nurse arrived at 7:30.  I updated her.  Moira went to school.  I went to bed and slept til noon.  Still incredibly exhausted.  I slept for maybe another 30 minutes later in the afternoon before Moira came home.  The nurse left at 5:30pm.  Our 5:30pm-10pm nurse called out sick.  Hopefully she's back tomorrow.  We have the back to back nurses again tomorrow...hopefully.  I intend to try for a repeat of today - in terms of sleeping while the nurse is here.  I do NOT intend to try for a repeat of my night.  

Please keep praying for Peyton, but also for me.  My frustration level and stress level is at an all-time high right now.  It's like we keep waiting and waiting for things to work out and get easier...and they don't.  I just want to be able to give Peyton her meds.  Sounds simple enough, right??  Wish it were as simple as it sounds. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

We welcome your comments and especially your prayers and support as our family journeys through the ups and downs of life with a special needs and medically fragile child. Thank you for visiting!