Friday, April 13, 2007

Neurology and Second Opinions

I took Peyton to see her Neurologist yesterday. It was a rather uneventful visit. It was nearly an hour each way to get there and back. I had to wait in the waiting room for nearly an hour before getting in. The doctor actually comes to the waiting room himself to get you when he's ready, so when you go back into an exam room, you don't have to wait for him. That is, except for when he spends ages reviewing Peyton's file, realizes something is amiss and gets up, leaves the room, corrects a letter he sent to Peyton's Pediatrician, comes back, reviews the file some more, realizes another typo on the same letter, goes get the idea. It was a long visit. It was a 3:00 appointment. I left the house at 2:00 pm and was home at 6:00 pm. Fun!
In terms of how Peyton's progress is going. Well, that too is a bit of a mystery. You have to understand this doctor is probably an absolute genius. He tends to think out loud sometimes. Except for this time. I think he thought a lot in his head, reviewed his notes, raised his head to ask me a question or to, thought some more....and that was pretty much it. He didn't comment a whole lot. He did say he wanted to order an MRI. I brought up the second opinion we had with the Neurosurgeon earlier in the week and how that doctor has already ordered and scheduled one. We briefly discussed this doctor visit and the upcoming MRI.
He is just stumped, really. It was an odd visit. I guess no news is good news in this case?? I know he is concerned about Peyton judging by the number of research articles he has in her file. I think he must always be thinking about her case and wondering what this could possibly be in terms of a general diagnosis. I guess he just didn't have much to say.
Peyton's rolling over now pretty well. She scoots a bit on her back - not too far - by digging in her heels to the floor. She's trying a little here and there to raise herself with her arms when she's on her tummy. It's a very difficult process for her as she has little strength in her arms right now.
We finally got properly fitting ear molds for Peyton's hearing aids in the mail yesterday. We were so grateful to have these so she can be wearing both aids all the time. The right was was so ill-fitting that it screeched all the time and it was very irritating to one and all, and probably to Peyton as well. So, now that they fit and are no longer screeching, Peyton has discovered she can grab her hearing aids, pull and yank them out. Once she's accomplished that, she thinks it's kind of fun to try to eat them. Not sure how to break that habit!! That could turn into an awfully expensive snack!!
Our Zoo trip is in the morning tomorrow. I wonder how that will go. I wonder if it will go. It's supposed to be kind of stormy overnight in some areas and possibly rain in the morning. I hope not. We were really looking forward to it. Maybe it will be clear over by the Zoo. Keep your fingers crossed!!
Have a wonderful weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment

We welcome your comments and especially your prayers and support as our family journeys through the ups and downs of life with a special needs and medically fragile child. Thank you for visiting!